On May 11, 1783 it was deemed by the New York State Legislature, that the Townships shall contain 60,000 acres each. All of this land was wild and uninhabited by non-native people which took time to survey and map. By July 3, 1790 twenty-six (26) towns had been surveyed, mapped and numbered. Brutus was number 4.
~Information provided by Jeanne Baker, Town Historian